Having mold installed in your home is bad as it is but if you have children, things are more severe than you think. The little ones are highly sensitive to mold spores and can develop serious conditions that can even endanger their health. Even the most harmless-looking mold can pose a risk to your kids’ health so it’s mandatory that you eliminate any trace of it from the house. To get a better understanding of the importance of the matter, keep reading to see how mold can affect the well-being of your children.

Symptoms of mold exposure

As the little ones breathe in the mold spores, they can develop some affections that mostly affect the respiratory system but can also have effects on their skin and overall health condition. As an adult, you would feel very bad if you were to breathe air filled with mold spores, but children are twice as sensitive and prone because they have a weakened immune system. From birth to adolescence, their resistance to viruses and bacteria is in a continuous development and they try to fight the infections the best way they can. However, any disturbance can have serious repercussions on their health and mold toxins are a major threat that should not be overlooked. You can suspect a mold allergy if your child experiences any of the following symptoms:

  • Shortness in breathing
  • Runny nose
  • Irritated eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Coughing
  • Nasal congestion
  • Sore throat
  • Nausea

If the child already suffers from an allergy or they have asthma, the previous symptoms might also worsen and they could experience a more severe form. Asthma is a serious breathing disorder that causes often attacks that can be accelerated by the exposure to more irritating substances. Children suffering from asthma are more prone to suffering a relapse if they live in a house that has been invaded by mold.
Mold exposure can also lead to skin irritation and itching because the spores get into the blood and can cause a skin reaction. If this happens, you shouldn’t apply any sort of cream on their skin until you consult a dermatologist or an infectionist and discover the cause of the skin allergy.

The dangers of black mold

Although any type of mold is considered a serious threat, there is one that is the most dangerous of all. Stachybotrys, also known as black mold, is the worst type of mold that affects children, especially very young ones. The mycotoxins it contains are extremely violent, causing a burning sensation in the nose, throat, and mouth. Once inhaled and has reached into the lungs and sinuses, the breathing problems they cause are highly severe and can even get into the brain and cause nerve damage. As such, aside from the breathing difficulties, children who have inhaled black mold spores can also experience symptoms linked to their neurological system:

  • Memory loss
  • Headaches
  • Confusion
  • Anxiety
  • Low reflexes


By far, the most dangerous effect of mold on your child’s health is the idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage or IPH, which is an acute bleeding in the lungs. If not treated immediately and accordingly, it could lead to respiratory distress and even death, in most severe and isolated cases.

What can you do?

The first measure that is in demand is to get rid of the mold that has affected your home and the best way to deal with it is to find the source and eliminate it. In most cases, the culprit is a high level of humidity in the air that favors the growth and spreading of mold spores. If the air gets filled with water vapors, they reach into porous materials like the walls, the wood floors, or the furniture in your house and start to turn into mold fungus that spread rapidly. The best ally in reducing the air humidity is the dehumidifier a machine that absorbs the air from a room and dries it so that when it’s released back into the room, it will be cleaner and healthier to breathe. Dehumidifiers come in all shapes and sizes so it’ very easy to find one that will match the size of your home. They also include a filter that retains bacteria from the air so that you can be sure that the result will be a healthier and cleaner environment for your children.
Once you determine the main spot from where the mold spreads, you can also wash it away with a mixture of water and chlorine. The chlorine attacks and breaks the spores while reaching deep into the wall and erasing any sign of it. If the scent is too powerful and you fear that the children will be irritated by it, you can replace the chlorine with vinegar that is milder yet has the same effect in fighting mold spores. You can also find special products in chemical stores that can help you get rid of mold once and for all.

      Say your opinion about the watch

You must be logged in to post a comment.